Russell Wilson says defense will appeal Texas retrial denial
A Texas state judge on Saturday denied a new trial for Karmelo Anthony, who was convicted in June of murdering 17-year-old Austin Metcalf in a stabbing at a high school track meet in April 2025. The ruling leaves in place the 35-year prison sentence imposed after the conviction.
Judge Michael Chitty issued the denial in a half-page order following a two-day hearing this week near Dallas. The order stated that the court had reviewed “the evidence and arguments” from the hearing but did not elaborate on the reasoning.
Anthony was convicted of murder in June and sentenced to 35 years in prison. The killing drew national attention and led to harassment of both the Anthony and Metcalf families.
After the denial was announced, defense attorney Russell Wilson said the defense would appeal.
“Our commitment to our client has not changed,” Wilson said. “We will continue to advocate vigorously on his behalf through every lawful avenue available.”
Prosecutor Bill Wirskye defended the trial as fair during the two-day hearing this week. Collin County District Attorney Greg Willis, whose office prosecuted the case, said after the ruling that his office had expected the decision.
“We respect, and expected, the court’s decision denying the motion for a new trial,” Willis said. “The jury’s guilty verdict stands. Every defendant has the right to appeal, and our thoughts and prayers remain with the Metcalf family in the painful wake of last week’s hearing.”