Defense seeks dismissal of state charges under New York’s double-jeopardy law
Justice Gregory Carro of the New York Supreme Court issued a brief written order on Monday canceling jury selection in the state murder case, which had been set to begin Sept. 8. The order directs the Manhattan District Attorney’s office to file its response to Mangione’s motion to dismiss by Oct. 9.
The defense filed the motion on Friday, the same day Mangione entered his federal guilty plea. The lawyers argued under New York’s law prohibiting double jeopardy that Mangione “should not have to be punished for the same conduct twice,” according to the Guardian’s account of the filing.
At the federal plea hearing, Mangione admitted that he trailed Thompson to a UnitedHealth Group investor conference and shot him outside a New York City hotel on Dec. 4, 2024. In remarks quoted by the Guardian, Mangione told the court that he had a dispute with UnitedHealthcare over his treatment for severe back pain and said he had “problems with navigating the obstacles of the health insurance system and witnessing similar experiences of countless others.”
The federal case originally included additional charges, including murder, that were dropped before the plea, according to the Guardian. Federal prosecutors have said they plan to seek life in prison at Mangione’s Dec. 18 sentencing, with federal sentencing guidelines calling for a term of 24 to 30 years.
Mangione has pleaded not guilty to the New York state charges, which include murder and weapons counts, according to the Guardian. The Dec. 10 state court hearing falls about a week before the federal sentencing date.