$5.6m already disbursed to Carroll; $83.3m separate appeal pending
The US Supreme Court on Monday once more declined to consider President Donald Trump’s appeal of a 2023 civil jury verdict that found him liable for sexually abusing writer E Jean Carroll and later defaming her, leaving the $5m judgment against him intact.
The court issued its decision in an unsigned order without providing an explanation. The order listed Trump’s petition, along with several others, under “rehearings denied.”
Carroll’s attorney Roberta Kaplan said in a statement: “We are pleased that the United States supreme court has declined again to hear this case. As a result, the jury’s unanimous verdict that Donald Trump sexually assaulted and then defamed E Jean Carroll is now final and cannot be challenged in any court.”
The court had previously declined to hear the case in June. Trump’s lawyers then asked the justices to reconsider, prompting Monday’s order. Trump has repeatedly denied Carroll’s allegations.
The 2023 jury award followed a two-week trial. Trump deposited the $5m jury award, plus interest, into a court-held account several weeks after the verdict. After the Supreme Court first declined Trump’s appeal in July, a Manhattan federal judge ordered the funds released; Carroll’s legal team said the disbursement totaled approximately $5.6m.
In 2024, a three-judge panel at the Second US Circuit Court of Appeals in Manhattan had also upheld the jury’s verdict.
The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Monday.
Separately, a federal jury in 2024 ordered Trump to pay Carroll an additional $83.3m in damages after concluding he had defamed her in 2019. A federal appeals court upheld that award in September 2025. Trump’s lawyers are now appealing that ruling to the Supreme Court; according to NBC News, the court is not expected to act on the appeal until later this year.